The need for packaging capable of protecting goods is more relevant than ever in a world where the market and distribution cycles are global. The arrival of cargo in perfect conditions thanks to an optimized translates into advantages for the companies, since losses and unnecessary costs can be eliminated, and the satisfaction of the end client increases. Transit tests make it possible to know and foresee the risks faced by the product-packaging system during its transport. In this way, it is possible to design packages that guarantee the safety of the cargo.
Why conduct transit tests
To satisfy the end client. In today’s world, a company’s good reputation and its ability to build customer loyalty are key to success. Thus, among other variables, it is vital to ensure that the product reaches the consumer in perfect conditions.
Optimizing the packaging means optimizing the costs. Through packaging technology, companies are able to conduct transit tests such as drop tests or vibration tests, in order to protect goods. This implies avoiding under-packaging (which would endanger the cargo) but also avoiding over-packaging (for which the company incurs unnecessary expenses).
To comply with international regulations and standards. Many organizations are involved in setting standards that ensure a safe cargo. ISTA, ASTM and ISO stand out. These regulations, in constant evolution, condition the packaging industry.
Two current examples with which companies must comply:
- Directive 2014/47/EU. This regulation applies to all companies that transport their products throughout Europe. It was established to improve road safety by setting requirements on rigidity and securing the cargo. In the text, the use of horizontal stability testing technologies is depicted to optimize the stability of the load through the EUMOS 40509 method. Download our free e-book to learn more about how to comply with these regulations.
- Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging program. Regulations of the e-commerce giant that affect companies that distribute their products on this platform. Amazon enforces certain transit test protocols to make sure that the products that arrive at their distribution center do so in an optimized packaging. This requires the use of testing technologies depicted in the Amazon Lab by Safe Load Testing Technologies. If you want to know more about Amazon’s Frustration-Free Packaging program, download our free e-book.
Which transit tests exist?
Equipment capable of simulating transport accelerations and decelerations to ensure the rigidity and safety of cargo.
For companies producing or distributing their products in Europe, access to equipment specially designed to enable companies to comply with Directive 2014/47/EU is essential.
This equipment is capable of simulating the damage caused by vibrations in the packages and the cargo they transport. The patented Safe Load TT technology also allows pitch and roll movements to be measured with the Vertical Vibration System + Pitch & Roll, or by adding a Pitch & Roll Module to a table to perform the vertical vibration test.
In this case, the inclined and horizontal impacts that affect the cargo can be measured using two pieces of equipment.
It tests the compressive strength in packaging and the creep performance exerted on the cargo in transport containers, pallets and loading units. In order to perform this test, a compression tester is used.
> Drop test, also called free fall test
Technology to simulate vertical and rotational drops that affect packaging and the cargo that it contains during handling and transport.
> Clamp test
A test designed to measure the protective capacity of the packaging against horizontal pressures typical of automatic storage. In order to perform this a clamp tester, a clamp tester is needed.
Organizations such as ISTA or ASTM include these testing technologies in their protocols to ensure the safety of the cargo.
Why choose Safe Load testing technologies?
Safe Load TT has been at the forefront of the transport simulation industry for more than two decades, designing the most precise solutions for each type of transit test.
Among the advantages of working with us to optimize packaging using our testing technologies, you will find:
- We carry out a ROI study, together with the company involved, for the acquisition of our equipment.
- We design and conform ad hoc and turnkey teams according to the client’s needs.
- We provide customized training to the technicians who will take care of the team internally.
- We provide worldwide express technical service and maintenance.
Do you want to know more about how we can help you perform the transit test that you need? Contact us and let us explain you how we work.