Trioplast is an industrial group with a little over 1,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 4.3 billion. The Group is one of Europe’s leading players in innovative and cost-efficient packaging solutions based on polyethylene film. The company’s registered office is in Smålandsstenar in Sweden. It operates production facilities in Sweden, Denmark and France and sells its products to a global market. The principal owner of Trioplast is Altor Funds.
TRIOPLAST ´s vision: Driven by our customer’s present and future needs, we constantly strive to be the first choice in polyethylene film solutions.
Trioplast‘s needs and goals
Trioplast holds a leading position in Europe in the field of polyethylene film across a wide range of industries and businesses. Since its inception in 1965, growth has been strong, and today Trioplast enjoys worldwide market reach.
To keep this position, Trioplast needs to be always developing best quality products and assisting customers about the most effective packaging solutions.
On other hand, the world of logistics and transportation has significantly changed during the last few years, which has resulted in the need to establish new rules that adequately govern the current state of this industry. There is a growing concern about the conditions experienced by the cargo throughout the distribution cycle since during transportation, packages face highly diverse factors that may lead to major damage. For example, humidity, temperature changes, accelerations and decelerations, etc.
This is why maximizing cargo safety has become a priority for the entire industry. With the firm intention of improving transport safety, EUMOS (European Safe Logistics Association) has created the EUMOS 40509 method, whose purpose is to guaranty safety and rigidity of the cargo. This system affects any company and industrial vehicle that distributes products on the road, as well as transportation companies that provide this service.
It is so established by Directive 2014/47/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 3 April 2014 on the technical roadside inspection of the roadworthiness of commercial vehicles circulating in the EU, which came into effect last May within the European territory. Its goal is to increase transport safety to accomplish the zero fatalities objective and its text contains the ‘Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area — Toward a competitive and sustainable policy’.
To accomplish with these goals, Trioplast has trusted in Safe Load Testing Technologies and the experience in packaging of his stuff acquiring a high technology Horizontal Stability tester.
With an innSlide machine it is possible to:
- Optimize packaging and packaging materials
- Evaluation of the rigidity and safety of a load that is subjected to horizontal accelerations and decelerations.
- Compliance with European Directive 2014/47/EU.
- Cost reductions resulting from package shrinkage.
- Contribution to a higher road transport safety.
The solution for Trioplast: a horizontal stability tester
The innSlide family includes an advanced range of solutions that simulates the horizontal accelerations and decelerations (speeding, slowing down and breaking) produced by several means of handling and transportation to ensure the rigidity and safety of the loads.
This machine was designed to perform EUMOS 4050:2012 test method and US FMCSA Cargo Securement requirements.
Trioplast and Safe Load TT members
Characteristics of the horizontal stability tester
Trioplast has chosen the model SF-HS1800-SET, the characteristics of this machine are:
- Able to simulate acceleration and deceleration test up to 1g
- Simulates a maximum load of 1.8 tones at 0.8g
- Possibility of modifying the k acceleration with 2 decimals precision
- Possibility of set the dwell time
- Real time graphic screen of the acceleration test recorded
- Able to export acceleration, velocity and position data
- Touchscreen to command easily the test
- Possibility of being extended
- High speed camera included
Innovations – innSlide SET
The model SF-HS1800-SET includes an innovative testing software, the innSlide SET, that allows the customer to define CUSTOM TESTS. For instance, simulate the forces suffered by the load when entering in a roundabout, combination of trapezoidal acceleration pulses…
This innovative software, that was developed by Safe Load TT to cover the necessity of customers of simulate test out of the standard, can be configured in an external computer and simulates on the machine. SET test gets the possibility of simulates accelerations tests up to 20 seconds testing time!
Innovations – innSlide Vision
All the machines from the innSlide family include an innovative analysis software based on artificial vision technology, innSlide Vision. This software, developed by Safe Load TT, can reduce the analysis time in more than 90% in comparison with the standard manual procedure.
In the EUMOS method, to analyze the load, the deformation of the load has to be measured after the test (permanent deformation), but also during the test (elastic deformation). innSlide Vision makes easier these tasks.
The analysis using innSlide Vision follows the next steps:
- The high-speed camera records the test
- The input parameters are set in the software: customer, reference…
- The software shows the recorded test one by one. With only one click you can know the deformation on the frame. This software can also measure deformation when the load tilt during the test.
- All the frames can be saved with the measured data.
- When the analysis is finished, innSlide Vision makes a technical report with all the data acquired.
Phases of the process
Trioplast‘s acquisition of new stability tester can be summarized in 4 phases:
- At first, Safe Load TT worked with Trioplast to find out which equipment is most needed depending of its necessities.
- In second phase, when the requirements of Trioplast are set. Safe Load TT proposes the most suitable innSlide model and start with the engineering phase of the process.
During this phase both companies are in continuous cooperation.
- When the innSlide machine is finished, some staff from Trioplast came to Safe Load TT facilities to check the machine and proceed with the acceptance test.
After the approval of the machine and the testing procedures, the machine is packed and sent to Trioplast facilities.
- One week later, Safe Load technicians goes to Trioplast to:
- install the machine
- train Trioplast staff about all the operation of the innSlide machine, just as explain all the maintenance operations.
Why Safe Load Testing Technologies was chosen
Trioplast chose Safe Load Testing Technologies for several reasons:
Trioplast wanted to be able to:
- Optimize his quality products
- Evaluate the rigidity and safety of a load
- Offer its customers certification according to international standards (especially EUMOS).
In this way, they turned to Safe Load due to their knowledge in that domain: we have personnel with more than 15 years of experience in packaging protocols.
Safe Load equipment is not only designed in accordance with international standards (ISTA, ASTM, ISO…) but also intuitive and simple to use.
In addition, maintenance of the new packaging testing machine acquired by Trioplast will be simple and occasional.
The involvement of Safe Load Testing Technologies in the whole process: from the selection of the appropriate machines, to helping to establish a layout for the testing laboratory, to the training to make a safe and efficient use of the equipment.
The panorama of packaging testing companies such as Trioplast
The packaging film companies’ sector is very competitive: it is an industry in full expansion, due to the huge demand for packaging solutions that protect goods.
By purchasing new stability testing machine, Trioplast takes one step ahead of its competitors.
As such, it seeks to offer an integral service to its customers (from the packaging film to the certification of the wrapping procedure), adding an added value that will differentiate them from other companies that are not following this philosophy.
Does your company need new packaging testing machines, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to improve your packaging laboratory following the latest trends and methods?
At Safe Load Testing Technologies, we put our two decades of experience in the packaging industry at your service.
Get in contact with us and let us find the solution that suits your company.