The safety of a load during transportation and storage is vital for a great number of companies. Once inside the distribution cycle, the only protection that goods are provided with is the packaging. Which is why companies are increasingly researching methods to optimize their packaging systems. Packaging testing equipment allows for the optimization of packages, since they anticipate how they will react to the hazards that they face during shipping and storage.
What types of packaging test are there?
By using packaging testing equipment it is possible to perform packaging tests that help optimize packages based on what the product needs during its transportation and storage.
This is the reason why using packaging testing equipment is one of the most efficient methods to prevent damage to a load during transportation
You might be interested in: Tips to remedy and prevent transport damages of loads
Packaging material testing can focus on various factors that pose a threat to the cargo during shipping:
- Vibration tests: simulate the typical vibrations that take place during transportation to anticipate their effects on the products being transported.
- Drop tests: can verify the resistance of a package to potential drops that may take place during the distribution cycle.
- Impact or shock tests: test the strength of the packaging when faced with the impacts that typically take place during shipping.
- Static compression tests reproduce the compression conditions that a product + packaging system may be subject to during shipping and storage. This situation emerges when, for example, loads are stacked on top of each other, or when a pallet is stacked.
- The creep test or static compression test tells us the load level that the product + package system can bear.
- Stability tests: simulate horizontal accelerations (accelerations, decelerations and hard braking) that take place during the shipping & handling of goods.
- Environmental testing allows us to study the effect of the temperature and humidity that surround the product during the storage and distribution cycle, through the use of environmental chambers.
These tests can be performed as per existing standards and regulations as outlined by the competent authorities (the EU and national governments, in addition to organizations such as ISTA).
It is also possible to collect specific data related to a particular distribution cycle and apply it to load testing equipment by using machines such as a Data Recorder
The purpose of this packaging testing equipment is, for the most part, to analyze the characteristics of tertiary packaging (which protects the load during the transportation and storage of goods). Complementarily, the physical characteristics of primary and secondary package systems may also be studied, focusing on the package or the product + packaging system.
What packaging testing equipment is used to optimize the distribution cycle?
For the performance of any of these tests, there is an assortment of packaging testing equipment that allows packages to be optimized for the distribution cycle.
On one hand, vibration tests are performed using a vertical vibration table which simulates the vibrations that the cargo may be subject to during transportation by land, sea or air under a controlled environment.
The Vertical Vibration + Pitch & Roll System allows for simulations that closely mimic reality, since it adds the pitch motions that take place during shipping.
On the other hand, a drop tester can be used to perform drop tests, simulating the drops or rotational impacts that may affect the packages.
In addition, a compressometer allows for the performance of compression tests and the creep test, measuring the effect caused by compression forces on the package + product system.
Lastly, packaging testing equipment such as the horizontal stability machine can be used to ensure the rigidity and stability of loads.
Packaging laboratory equipment: what is it used for?
Investing on packaging laboratory equipment is essential for companies that depend on their goods arriving safe and sound at their destination, guaranteeing the satisfaction of their customers.
By using packaging laboratory equipment it is possible to:
- Ensure products are protected. Packaging testing equipment allows for the simulation of the conditions to which a load will be subject, thereby anticipating possible damages and acting accordingly.
- Optimize the packaging design based on the test results.
Through packaging material testing, it is possible to design a package that is not insufficient (which would endanger the goods, leading to losses), but neither excessive (which would lead the company to incur unnecessary expenses).
As a consequence, it is possible to reduce material and distribution chain costs.
- Ensure the compliance with current transportation and product storage standards.
For example: the European Union has passed directive 2014/47/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council on road transportation, recommending the EUMOS 40509 method for its compliance through the use of a horizontal stability machine.
- Reduce the amount of waste and guarantee a package’s sustainability, which can nowadays become a key factor in customer satisfaction.
At Safe Load Testing Technologies we have been researching and innovating on packaging testing equipment and in the packaging industry for two decades. At the time, we are one of only two companies in the world with the ability to deliver turnkey packaging laboratory equipment.
Safe Load TT’s packaging testing equipment is not only designed to comply with current regulations, but also offer personalized solutions to companies that request it.
Get in touch with us ( LINK https://www.safeloadtesting.com/es/contacto/ ) and we will help you find the most fitting solutions and load testing equipment for your company, which allow you to protect your products, comply with regulations and save costs.