Nowadays, packaging is considered one of the best means to protect the quality of the packed products and it helps to present the product perfectly in front of the buyers and clients as well. Thanks to this, the packaging industry has managed to acquire a big proportion of a market. As the usage of packaged products keeps getting more extensive, manufacturers need to ensure the quality of their packaging using top-quality testing machines and standardized test procedures.
Packaging materials testing is performed for a wide range of reasons and can help to provide a lot of information about the tested materials, prototypes or product samples. The data collected during testing and the final test results can be very useful to engineers, designers or production managers.
Meeting the requirements of regulatory agencies, selecting appropriate materials and treatments, evaluating the product design, improving its specifications or verifying the production process are some of the reasons why material testing is important.
Packaging material testing: what is it?
Component materials are in the central part of effective and sustainable packaging design and performance. The physical properties, and sometimes the chemical properties, of the packaging materials need to be well known by packaging engineers to optimize the design process.
There is a big variety of testing options when it comes to the testing of packaging materials. Testing capabilities comprise physical strength testing, packaging material qualification and identification and characterizing material response to fatigue. The information gathered from these tests can be used to plan an optimal packaging choice for specific applications.
Packaging affects the quality, stability and identification of the product.
It gives the product an appropriate amount of protection, minimizes the loss of component parts and it should not interact physically or chemically with the contents in a way that will alter their attributes to the extent of presenting a risk of toxicity.
Packaging is a means of providing protection, presentation, identification, information and so there is a broad range of specific tests designed to evaluate the suitability of packaging materials that are intended to be used on a given product.
Importance of packaging material testing
Dependable packaging is an integral part of product offering. Packaging material testing provides assurance that the products will be protected from damage or degradation by the packaging during the transportation and distribution process. These types of testing can also help to reduce packaging costs by identifying the required protection levels and reducing the necessary amount of packaging materials.
Product packaging materials can suppose a challenging problem for manufacturers. Cartons, cans, bottles, vials, bags and other forms of packaging need to be strong enough to endure the risks of transportation and environmental conditions at the same time they remain resistant, safe and suitable for the final client.
The testing of packaging material contributes to help manufacturers measure the properties, characteristics and other packaging properties. This procedure includes the testing of packaging materials, components, primary packaging, etc. The assurance and quality control of packaging materials can be useful for analyzing the quality of packaging products at different levels of production as well as calculating the effect external forces may have on the quality of the final products.
Besides, some other convenient reasons for the testing of packaging material:
It can be found out whether the packaging is resilient enough or not in a controlled environment.
- Regular testing can help understand the distribution process and changes can be made to reduce the product exposure to transportation threats.
- Testing methods and packaging standards can be determined and revised as needed at any time.
- The more information there is about the packaging materials, the better decisions could be made about the package design and the shipping process.
- Time and money will be saved by identifying the special needs of packaging at the earliest possible stages of the product development process.
- It will help to minimize the risks by testing the packaging systems and products to ensure that they meet packaging standards, industry requirements and customer expectations.
- It can add a competitive edge by delivering high-quality packaging that preserves the products safety and properties.
What machinery is necessary for material testing
The testing of packaging materials can be conducted with the help of top-quality testing equipment. The recording of the results is essential in order to analyze the quality of the packaging materials. Testing results are recorded in the form of graphical representations, photographs, videos, etc.
Finding a tool that can support the packaging is essential. Packaging material testing practices can take a bit of time before they are noticed but they are often an indicator for production success in the long term. By testing the packaging material, the way components will perform in production can be understood before they are employed so the issues can be found and fixed before releasing the product.
For this reason, understanding what machinery will fit better with the manufacturer needs is a top priority. The testing of packaging material requires an extremely versatile material testing system due to the diverse requirements that can be apply to the different elements.
Material tests typically simulate anticipated mechanical and climatic conditions that packaging may encounter during the handling and transportation process and can include different types of machinery such as:
- Vibration testing machines for both random and sinusoidal vibrations, it tests the package’s ability to protect the product as well as the way vibrations may affect the final product.
- Shock testing machines are essential for many companies whose products are potentially threatened by the unexpected impacts that happen during transportation.
- Compression testing machines are useful to define the packaging strength and to ensure the security of stacked packages. A compression tester allows for the characterization of the product and packaging systems and the simulation of the stress elements experiment during the distribution process.
- Clamp testing machines are used for testing the handling process of cardboard or palletized loads. They measure the package protective qualities when facing horizontal pressure forces and vertical movements during storage and handling.
- Stability testing machines to evaluate product stability. The stability test methods have several objectives: to increase road safety by improving load stability, to contribute to reduce the number of transport accidents due to falls of load elements, to save costs and to optimize packaging sustainability.
- Drop testing machines for simulating the drops and rotational impacts that may affect packages during shipping and handling. They help to prevent problems during the shipping and handling of the goods. This machine is in high demand in the package research industry.
Do you have doubts about what packaging lab will fit best your need? Continue reading: How to choose a packaging lab to test my product
How can Safe Load Testing Technologies help you optimize your packaging material?
Safe Load Testing Technologies offers a wide range of options for testing equipment that offer two clear advantages: their innovative design and their intuitive way of use. But, in addition to these major characteristics, Safe Load TT equipment have several other qualities.
Our drop testing machine, for instance, allows you to choose between four different models depending on the type of load and its volume. What is more, the procedure to perform the vertical drop test will be different according to the load’s size. In both cases, the drop test equipment may include an arm mechanism that allows for edge and corner drops, expanding the functionality of the machine and offering results that are more similar to real life situations.
A control software developed by Safe Load Testing Technologies is available with the shock testing machine. This machine has been made with international standards and protocols in mind. There is also a wide range of inclined and horizontal shock testing systems to choose from, in order to accommodate the needs of both the company and the users.
Thanks to its modular design, the horizontal shock machine can be customized to be able to perform EUMOS stability tests.
The compression tester performs compression tests on shipping containers and single loads. Our innPress product line will let you choose a compression tester based on the type of load that you need to test. These tests will become essential requirements for sellers who wish to use Amazon’s distribution system.
Every Safe Load Testing Technologies vibration table can simulate the packaging standards vibration tests as well as replicating PSD routes registered with any data recorder on the market thanks to the advanced controls of Real Vibrations. Besides, if you already have a vertical vibration table, our company offers a P&R module, adaptable to any existing machine.
Our advanced stability testing solutions ensure the rigidity and safety of the loads by testing their horizontal stability, according to EUMOS, generating economic savings for our customers. Furthermore, it is capable of handling heavy loads which allows a high reliability in the transport simulation of packaging palletized goods.
Additionally, the clamp testing family has been designed to comply with the standards outlined in the ISTA 6-AMAZON.COM and ISTA 6-SAMSCLUB procedures in order to evaluate the prospective hazards that the clamp handling motions inflict on the goods. Moreover, Safe Load Testing Technologies clamp machine offers other advantages such as a control software that allows the generation of force-displacement curves for a more detailed post-analysis.
Continue reading: Success case: BFSV implants ISTA 6-Amazon.com thanks to Safe Load TT
Would you like to get more information about the testing of packaging material process? At Safe Load Testing Technologies, we will guide you through the process of optimizing your packaging, reducing your costs, and guaranteeing the safety of the goods during transportation.
Get in touch with us and we will find the personalized solution that better fits your needs.